Winter 2023 Tabla Classes - Registration opens December 5th, 2022
A metronome/lehera for home practice. (iPhone users should use the iLehera app.)
A USB microphone and headphones for optimal sound during class..
Classes are open to tabla players of all experience levels. Topics covered include:
- Technique Exercises
- Care for the instrument
- Basic Indian rhythm theory
- Beginning tabla compositions.
- Keeping basic theka including Tintal, Bhajan, Keherewa, Rupak, Jhaptal, etc.
- Theme and variation based ‘kaida’ and ‘rela’ compositions.
- Short fixed ‘tukra’ and ‘chackardar’ compositions.
- Basics of accompaniment
- Compose your own variations to kaida and reyla.
- Solo performance techniques, including improvising variations, composing tihais, and stringing together multiple compositions.
- Microphone, recording, and other performance related techniques.