Sign up today:
Winter 2020 Tabla Classes
Monday's and Saturday's (35 classes total):
Drop in Rate: $30
Pro-rated Tuition available!
It is never too late to join!!
Mondays: Rudolf Steiner HS 2230 Pontiac Trail, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Saturdays: John's home studio in Ann Arbor, MI. (Near Packard St. and Stadium Blvd.)
A set of tabla in working condition. (Tabla are available to borrow to get you started, however it is recommended that students own their own set of tabla).
A notebook/folder with paper and pencil/pen.
Recording device (audio and/or video), binder with sheet protectors.
A metronome/lehera for home practice. (iPhone users should use the iLehera app.)
- All students must register for classes.
- Tuition is due on the first day of class.
- Students are expected to attend all classes. Missed classes may be made up by attending any other class during the week.
- Once you are registered for one class, you are welcome to attend any of the classes offered during the week throughout the semester at no additional charge.
- A regular practice routine outside of class is required. Time and frequency varies with each student, however it does not work to come to class with no practice time outside of class.
Classes are open to tabla players of all experience levels. Topics covered include:
- Technique Exercises
- Care for the instrument
- Basic Indian rhythm theory
- Beginning tabla compositions.
- Keeping basic theka including Tintal, Bhajan, Keherewa, Rupak, Jhaptal, etc.
- Theme and variation based ‘kaida’ and ‘rela’ compositions.
- Short fixed ‘tukra’ and ‘chackardar’ compositions.
- Basics of accompaniment
- Compose your own variations to kaida and reyla.
- Solo performance techniques, including improvising variations, composing tihais, and stringing together multiple compositions.
- Microphone and other performance related techniques.