2019 Winter Tabla Classes - January-May
Classes are held at John's Studio in Ann Arbor
Classes will be on Monday Evenings and Saturday mornings starting on January 7th and running through May 20th, culminating in a Recital performance (Date, venue TBD).
Tuition for all classes: $450 (Tuition for one class gets you in ALL classes, so you can come Mondays and Saturdays for the cost of one day/week)
A set of tabla in working condition. (Tabla are available to borrow to get you started, however it is recommended that students own their own set of tabla).
A notebook/folder with paper and pencil/pen.
Recording device (audio and/or video), binder with sheet protectors.
A metronome/lehera for home practice. (iPhone users should use the iLehera app.)
- All students must register for classes.
- Tuition is due on the first day of class.
- Students are expected to attend all classes. Missed classes may be made up by attending any other class during the week.
- Once you are registered for one class, you are welcome to attend any of the classes offered during the week throughout the semester at no additional charge.
- A regular practice routine outside of class is required. Time and frequency varies with each student, however it does not work to come to class with no practice time outside of class.
Classes are open to tabla players of all experience levels. Topics covered include:
- Technique Exercises
- Care for the instrument
- Basic Indian rhythm theory
- Beginning tabla compositions.
- Keeping basic theka including Tintal, Bhajan, Keherewa, Rupak, Jhaptal, etc.
- Theme and variation based ‘kaida’ and ‘rela’ compositions.
- Short fixed ‘tukra’ and ‘chackardar’ compositions.
- Basics of accompaniment
- Compose your own variations to kaida and reyla.
- Solo performance techniques, including improvising variations, composing tihais, and stringing together multiple compositions.
- Microphone and other performance related techniques.