Summer 2021 Tabla Classes
Virtual classes and lessons are done online via Zoom Meeting.
- An internet connection, and all necessary technology for a video conference call.
- A set of tabla in working condition. (Tabla are available to borrow to get you started, however it is recommended that students own their own set of tabla).
- An account at http://soundtrap.com/edu (Invite Code included with tuition)
A metronome/lehera for home practice. (iPhone users should use the iLehera app.)
A USB microphone and headphones for optimal sound during class..
- Tuition is due on the first day of class. Venmo, Zelle, Paypal and more accepted for payment.
- Students are expected to attend at least one class per week, but may attend two classes per week.
- Once you are registered for one class, you are welcome to attend any of the classes offered during the week throughout the semester.
- Students are responsible for developing a regular practice routine outside of class. Time and frequency of regular practice will vary from student to student.
Classes are open to tabla players of all experience levels. Topics covered include:
- Technique Exercises
- Care for the instrument
- Basic Indian rhythm theory
- Beginning tabla compositions.
- Keeping basic theka including Tintal, Bhajan, Keherewa, Rupak, Jhaptal, etc.
- Theme and variation based ‘kaida’ and ‘rela’ compositions.
- Short fixed ‘tukra’ and ‘chackardar’ compositions.
- Basics of accompaniment
- Compose your own variations to kaida and reyla.
- Solo performance techniques, including improvising variations, composing tihais, and stringing together multiple compositions.
- Microphone, recording, and other performance related techniques.
Pay today with Credit Card or Paypal
You can also Venmo: @John-Churchville Tuition $550/student
Enter the amount you wish to donate