Fall 2023 Class - REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
Tabla Classes are on Mondays - September 18th - November 27th, 2023
- Beginning Class: 4:10-5:00P.M. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR BEGINNING CLASS
- Advanced Class: 5:00-P.M. 5:50 P.M. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR ADVANCED CLASS
- All classes held at Pattengill Elementary 2100 Crestland Dr. Ann Arbor, MI. 48104
- Tabla Drums Provided if you don't have your own!
A metronome/lehera for home practice. (iPhone users should use the iLehera app.)
A USB microphone and headphones for optimal sound during class..
Classes are open to tabla players of all experience levels. Topics covered include:
- Technique Exercises
- Care for the instrument
- Basic Indian rhythm theory
- Beginning tabla compositions.
- Keeping basic theka including Tintal, Bhajan, Keherewa, Rupak, Jhaptal, etc.
- Theme and variation based ‘kaida’ and ‘rela’ compositions.
- Short fixed ‘tukra’ and ‘chackardar’ compositions.
- Basics of accompaniment
- Compose your own variations to kaida and reyla.
- Solo performance techniques, including improvising variations, composing tihais, and stringing together multiple compositions.
- Microphone, recording, and other performance related techniques.